Monday, June 09, 2008

It's a real shame M Night Shyamalan turned out to be a bit of a none starter. I just watched Unbreakable on the tv and was reminded of how genuinely decent I think that film is. I remember going to see it in the cinema with Nicky Magee - the day after I had my haircut, and got very upset when I washed it and it looked nothing like it did in the hairdressers - and being pleasantly surprised by how moving I found it. It's well written, has a twist that isn't visible from a mile off, and inspires a lump in the throat without ever being overtly sentimental. And then it all went so wrong.. the Village is creepy and well thought out but just feels a bit stale and flat. I've avoided Signs and Lady in the Water (and it was a sensible decision by all accounts) and I was never massively impressed by the Sixth Sense, but I've always had a fondness for Unbreakable. The Happening, however, looks fairly promising. Perhaps a remedy to his fall from grace? Time will tell.

Network Rail have become the bane of my existence. The more often I get the train, the more I am in shock about how terrible the service they provide is and how expensive it is! A train journey from Leeds to London on saturday that should have been direct and taken 2.5 hours tops, took almost 4 and I had to change 3 times, with one leg of the journey being taken by bus. And I paid 55 quid for the privilage! I'm going to start my own alternative rail service which is powered entirely by peoples dissatisfaction with rail services. Projected passengers for our first quarter are 99.5% of all British rail users, with a 0.5% margin of error. Seriously though, when it costs more and takes longer to get a train somewhere rather than fly, how can people be blamed for using planes? It's cheaper to, for example, fly to Germany and back than it is to pay full fare down to Brighton. That's really stupid.

I'm also falling in love... with my new phone. It's like a fairytale romance. It was like fate... I rang T Mobile on the off chance; you know, not really looking for anything, and it all just kind of happened. This sexy little fucker came into my life and started making all my dreams come true. It's like we're best friends. It knows everything I want before I even know I want it. If I want to make a movie of my totally gross and embaressingly incurred foot injury, N95 is there. If I need to take pictures of plesiosaurs in the natural history museum or check my facebook on an overly long train journey, it's no problem at all for my ever patient N95! On a phonecall in a shop and need to take a telephone number quickly but don't have a pen or paper or human friend about to indelibly print the number in their mind? Can N95 have the number input whilst still on the other call? Of course it can, what a silly question! I've yet to discover its full capabilities but I would not be surprised if they include full personal organiser abilities, alarms that actually wake me up and the ability to transport matter forwards and backwards through time.

No comments: