Saturday, April 03, 2010

This post is purely to express my admiration for the internet - after my term paper on Hunter S Thompson ground to a screeching halt, for reasons not yet evident to me, on impulse I decided to start again from scratch and write something on Lenore Kandel (I will post a blog about her at some point in the future.) She is a fantastic but relatively obscure 1960s poet, and I was having immense trouble digging out any poems other than 3 fairly widely circulated ones... then I checked out tumblr.com for any posts in which she was tagged. Straight away, and with total ease, I was able to track down a further 4 poems (bear in mind that, apart from a very limited edition reprint of some of her work in 2003 by a publisher no longer in business, nothing of hers has been published since before 1970). I know that there are all sorts of downsides to the ease of access we have to information, and that as a populace we're supposedly being dumbed down and losing all of the incidental knowledge gained in the protracted quest for information etc etc etc etc... but, isn't it great that we potentially have access to so much that would otherwise fade away?

No comments: