Friday, January 04, 2008

i am writing this sitting back in my flat on my second full day back in Leeds. I have decided to develop into a sort of hermit, venturing out into the cold wastelands of the outside only to purchase milk and a copy of the guardian. I have been watching episode after episode of Arrested Developement and Larry Clark films and painting concentric patterns and drawing conclusions about applied ethics. (it is scary, the deeper you venture into the world of ethics, the more it becomes apparent just how much of our current moral code is based upon our acceptance of certain positions as unquestionable. As soon as you begin to dig beneath the surface a little, to root around amongst the foundations, the whole thing is liable to collapse like a house of cards.) I have also been playing a new game I have, where I choose a random ingredient from in the fridge and find and make a recipe involving it. So far I have made tomato pitta breads and broccoli gratin. The results were mixed but enjoyable.

I had a shuffle fest on my ipod earlier today while I was working, which led to the interesting combination of dillinja, soundgarden, handsome boy modeling school, velvet acid christ ,lovage, velvet underground, cowboy junkies, and badly drawn boy. Also tickling my ears recently have been the Vangelis song at the end of Blade Runner, Hello Mr Blue Sky by the Electric Light Orchestra, and anything by the Cardigans.

I could quite happily stay as a hermit forever (so long as I had plenty of dvds and books and paints) if the world outside wasn't so interesting. I am writing this in case of the unlikely-but-ever-growing-possibility that I decide to stay in here forever (or at least until summer comes.) More people should hibernate, there are a lot of positives to it.

No comments: